Koprivshtitsa (Bulgarian: Копривщица, pronounced [koˈprifʃtit͡sɐ]], from the Bulgarian word коприва, kopriva, meaning “nettle”) is a historic town in the Koprivshtitsa Municipality in Sofia Province, central Bulgaria, lying on the Topolnitsa River among the Sredna Gora mountains. It was one of the centres of the April uprising in 1876 and is known for its authentic Bulgarian architecture and for its folk music festivals, making it a very popular tourist destination.
Koprivshtitsa is one of the most characteristic Bulgarian towns, still preserving the atmosphere of the Bulgarian National Revival period of the 19th century. The town is huddled in the mountain-folds, 111 km east of Sofia. The town boasts many architectural monuments from the period, 383 in all, most of which have been restored to their original appearance. Collections of ethnographical treasures, old weapons, National Revival works of art, fine fretwork, household weaves and embroidery, national costumes and typical Bulgarian jewelry have also been preserved. It was here that the first shot of the April Uprising against the Ottoman domination was fired in 1876.
Since 1965 the National Festival of Bulgarian Folklore takes place approximately every five years in Koprivshtitsa, gathering musicians, artists and craftsmen from across Bulgaria. Featuring thousands of performing artists in a pastoral setting in the hills above the town, the Koprivshtitsa festival is the only significant Bulgarian music event focusing on amateur performances. The majority of authentic Bulgarian village music records released during Communist rule were recorded in Koprivshtitsa by Balkanton during the 1970s and 1980s.
As of September 2009, the town has a population of 2,541 and the Deputy Mayor is Radka Lukanova Skenderova.
Koprivshtitsa is located at 1,030m above sea level, at 42°38′N 24°21′E.
The anthem of the city is “Beautiful, my forest” with lyrics by Lyuben Karavelov and music by Georgi Goranov.
the Oslekov House (1853–1856), today an ethnographical museum
the Georgi Benkovski Memorial House (1831)
the Lyuben Karavelov Memorial House complex (1810–1835)
the Dimcho Debelyanov Memorial House (1830)
the Todor Kableshkov Memorial House (1845)
the Lyutov House (1854)
the Nayden Gerov House
the Church of the Dormition of the Theotokos (1817)
the Church of St Nicholas (1839)
the Memorial Ossuary of April 20 housing the bones of those who died in the April Uprising (1926)
the bridge where the first shot of the uprising was fired in 1876, Kalachev most (1813)
the Hadzhi Nencho Palaveev Community Centre (chitalishte) (1869)
the Sts. Cyril and Methodius School (1837), the first class school in Bulgaria (1837)
the Street of Handicrafts
Plovdiv Airport 73 km.
Sofia Airport 78 km.